Oil on canvas
15 x 24 1/4 inches (38 x 61.5 cm)
Framed: 21 1/2 x 30 1/2 inches (54.6 x 77.5 cm)
Signed lower right: C. Venard
Georges De Beaux, Inc. Philadelphia
Private Collection, Philadelphia
David David Gallery, PA
Private Collection, USA
Claude Venard trained as a painter at the École des Arts Appliqués in Paris, then as a restorer at the Louvre. In 1936, he was part of a group show at the Galerie Billet-Worms, which critic Waldemar George hailed as the birth of the group Forces Nouvelles. During the next four years, this group promoted a new form of figuration, marked by the rejection of Impressionism, Cubism, and Surrealism. Over time, Vernard distanced himself from the group, which became increasingly figurative. In 1939, the group officially split, but Venard continued to gain recognition during and after the war.
Though Venard remained faithful to a post-Cubist compositional style established by the Forces Nouvelles, he progressively accentuated the chromatic qualities of his palette, striving to produce crude colors, which he applied in thick impasto. Venard enjoyed success during his lifetime, and was given solo shows around the world. Today, his works can be found in major public and private institutions around the world, including The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, the Musée d’Art Moderne in Paris, the Tate London, and the São Paulo Museum of Art.
Our Venard features a modern take on still life, trading out brightly colored flowers and produce for two pitchers with large handles and scraffito flowers in rich earth tones. Quasi-abstract, the work features Venard’s typical use of a thick impasto application of paint with the palette of black and muted earth tones is enlivened with sections of bright blue and yellow.