Oil on canvas
9 x 11 inches (22.3 x 28 cm)
Framed: 14 x 16 inches (35.5 x 40.6 cm)
Signed lower right: C.Venard
Galerie Félix Vercel, Paris
Private Collection, USA
Claude Venard trained as a painter at the École des Arts Appliqués in Paris, then as a restorer at the Louvre. In 1936, he was part of a group show at the Galerie Billet-Worms, which critic Waldemar George hailed as the birth of the group Forces Nouvelles. During the next four years, this group promoted a new form of figuration, marked by the rejection of Impressionism, Cubism, and Surrealism. Over time, Venard distanced himself from the group, which became increasingly figurative.
Though Venard remained faithful to a post-Cubist compositional style established by the Forces Nouvelles, he progressively accentuated the chromatic qualities of his palette, striving to produce raw colors, which he applied in thick impasto. Venard enjoyed success during his lifetime and was extended solo shows around the world. Today, his works can be found in major public and private institutions around the world, including The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, the Musée d’Art Moderne in Paris, the Tate London, and the São Paulo Museum of Art.